Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Persuasion vs. Force

Since Allen brought it up at this week's meeting, here is Mark Skousen's memorable gold-nugget essay, Persuasion vs. Force.

Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, "Taxation is the price we pay for civilization." But isn't the opposite really the case? Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents the comoplete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success.

Indeed.

6 comments:

Dan said...

Has anyone taken any of his classes at Barnard? How are his courses?

Clara said...

I took Money and Banking with him, and I heartily recommend it. There's a healthy dose of *economic history* mixed in.

He's a full-blown libertarian, lecturing on this campus -- reason enough to take any class he's offering!

Allen said...

The only problem is that I don't think he is teaching any classes next semester. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they are unfortunately getting rid of him.

He originally taught a class at the business school as a result of being hired by a retiring professor at the business school who read (for the first time, I believe) about Austrain Economics and found it to be so interesting that he contacted Skousen. After Skousen's excellent reviews on CULPA, the University "rewarded" him by placing his office in the basement of Lehman and telling him to teach Barnard classes instead of GSB classes.

Who doesn't love ideology?

Clara said...

But hey, what's this? The Skousen School of Business!

Allen said...

Yea, he mentioned Grantham University to me when I met with him... I just wish we had the Skousen School of Business here.

Clara said...

Well, under Glenn Hubbard's stewardship, it's as close as they come. If I were to get an MBA (ha ha), I'd shoot for Columbia. No question about it.