Thursday, February 24, 2005

That's a whopper, even for Dean.

Jay Nordlinger wishes white liberals would stop playing the race card.

Dean's latest is to have said this, while meeting the DNC's "black caucus" (about that, more later): "You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room? Only if they had the hotel staff in here."

I have talked about race obsession for a very long time; indeed, you might say that I have an obsession with race obsession. You see, I've known people like Howard Dean all my life; had some of them in my own family. These are people for whom skin color is supreme, for whom proximity to blackness is validation, and for whom a deficiency of blackness is condemnation.

(I'm talking about white people, of course — white liberals.)

Do you know this type? They flip through magazines, searching for black models in the ads; if there aren't enough of them, they complain to the magazine. They judge a neighborhood, an institution, or even a cocktail party by its degree of integration. They can't look at a crowd without taking a little racial census, mentally.

One of the reasons I affiliate myself with the Republicans is that I abhor this racial-mindedness. I think of what Condoleezza Rice said, when she spoke to the 2000 Republican convention in Philadelphia. She was explaining why she became a Republican. She began, "I joined the party for different reasons. I found a party that sees me as an individual, not as part of a group . . ." That was number one, note.

. . . One more thing about Howard Dean, and his comments, and the DNC: Do you look forward, as I do, to the day when having a caucus based on race — e.g., the black caucus — will be seen more universally as gross? I mean, of all things to caucus around, politically: skin color! Better to caucus around your hatred of Social Security privatization (for example).

4 comments:

Jeff said...

What I hate the most is the double standard. Imagine if a white conservative made a joke about how few whites there were. He'd be loudly criticized for racism and probably forced to quit his job.


I spoke about some of these examples a while back:

Rush Limbaugh said that Donovan McNabb was more treated better by the media because he was black and the media was looking for a good black quarterback. He was fired.

Isiah Thomas said that if Larry Bird was black he would be just another player because the media was looking for good white players. No one said anything to him, and he faced no reprimend. Of course, Thomas is black.

Jimmy the Greek said that blacks were inherently better athletes than whites. He was white, and was fired. Dusty Baker said that he preferred having black players on his team because due to coming from Africa they were naturally superior in the warm weather. Baker was black, and faced no reprimand.



This is not reverse racism, this is just racism. It has to end. Groups like the NAACP and that "diversity"-whatever group started on campus here last year create so much racism and make the situation so much worse. The only way to end racism is to end these groups and treat everyone equal - regardless of skin color.

Anonymous said...

Nothing you say is incorrect, but I still have a hard time getting worked up over white people being discriminated against and black folks getting a free pass. I guess I'm a racist.

Anonymous said...

I guess you are.

If it's blacks you're trying to help, it isn't working. By institutionalizing and codifying reverse-racism, we only perpetuate the stereotype of minorities as needy. People won't ever stand on their own feet if the state - and guilty white liberals like Lee Bollinger - keep trying to prop them up.

vandar said...

we need to de -niggerize ourselves,in fact, de-niggerize this nation's psyche.think on our own, stop being little puppets of market forces embrace our differences,as a people. let's talk about our business leaders, educators, bankers, community leaders, whatever. No need to always hear about fucking puffy and his shit.
we need a national mental health initiative.
more to come , i want to hear from others