Saturday, December 18, 2004

Professor Un-Profound

I felt like this class was anti-educational. . . . [Prof. X.] does not engage the students at all, and she speaks at about one word per minute, without substance. She never says "today we will talk about x, y, z" - she just rambles and emphasizes certain euphemisms as if trying to provoke a response transmitting information.
Here's an example: she taught us a bit about May 1968 and would say things like "A student ... REVOLT ... took ... PLACE" then pause for five seconds afterwards as if she said something very profound. Given that there is no textbook, it's not as if we had background knowledge, and I'd prefer she speak more efficiently and actually tell us many more specific details. . . .
People fell asleep and played computer games without consequences. . . .
One of the essay questions asked something like "Talk about the consumer culture after World War II and how it affected social ties, say, gender relations." It literally used the word "say" as the transition. When I got my paper back, I got comments that said that I didn't make enough of a big deal out of gender in my thesis. . . .

Ah, the stuff you find on CULPA. (And no, I didn't write it. I only give rave reviews.)

1 comment:

Damian - said...

Check out the reviews for Prof. Skousen:

http://www.culpa.info/?root=psearch&process=viewprof&prof=2181&target=skousen

Excerpt: "HIs personal views are more free-market than most Columbia professors, but Skousen is so incredibly fair and even-handed that you can scarcely tell he prefers Mises to Marx!"